I won a contest

Last month, a youtube channel I follow called The No-Swear Gamer had a contest to win a knitted Space Invaders hat made by SETXNerdery.  I went over to NSG’s facebook page, entered the contest, and to my surprise, I won!

The hat arrived in my mail on Friday, and I have to say, I really like it.  Even if I don’t especially like winter.


The acrylic yarn is soft and the hat is warm and fits on my head pretty well. SEXTNerdery has some other hat designs that are fun if you’re a retro gamer, so give them a look.

No Swear Gamer does a nice job of reviewing classic games for the Atari and other retro consoles, and provides a lot of detailed information, including some secret information like easter eggs. He has a good knowledge of his subject and doesn’t rely on stunts or gimmicks to attract viewers (aside from the occasional hat contest) — just solid information and opinion.

Cleveland Game Developers Level Up 2/20/16 workshop

LEVEL UP: Jumpstart Unity Game Design with Playmaker with Bill Whetsel

Saturday, Feb 20, 2016, 1:00 PM

Lakewood Public Library Main Branch
15425 Detroit Avenue Lakewood, OH

2 Video Game Developers Attending

About LEVEL UPLEVEL UP is an ongoing series of workshops that focus on honing one specific skill or technique that has application in game development.The 2/20/16 presentation will cover the core concepts of using Playmaker, a visual scripting environment for Unity. We’ll explore concepts and basic mechanics for a simple Side-scroller or Endless …

Check out this Meetup →

Global Game Jam 2016: Pug Pug’s Bathtime Ritual

Global Game Jam 2016 has concluded.  I completed my project this year, and I’m pretty pleased with it.


The theme for Global Game this year was “ritual”.  I didn’t have an immediate idea what to do for my game, but after about 20 minutes I decided to do a game about a Pug’s bath time, which I called Pug-pug’s Bathtime Ritual.  It is pretty common knowledge that I like pugs, which made this project especially fun.

Taking inspiration from this video:

I decided to make a simple minigame about knocking down bottles.  I had some ideas for other minigames that I could link together, but there wasn’t time to do more than one.  I worked at a relaxed pace, didn’t stress or overwork myself over the weekend, and completed the project about an hour before the 3pm submission deadline. It’s not terribly challenging, but it’s cute.

There’s a playable HTML5 build and a Windows build, along with full source, as well.


Global Game Jam 2016

Once again, this Friday I’ll be joining with my fellow Cleveland Game Developers friends to participate in the 2016 Global Game Jam.  I’m looking forward to hearing what the theme will be this year, and seeing all the games the different groups at the Shaker Heights location will create.  Special thanks to Launch House for hosting us again this year!

Spoiler etiquette

There are two annoying things about spoilers:  spoilers, and people complaining about spoilers.

There’s really a few basic rules that should cover it:

  1. If you care to avoid spoilers, make an effort to see the thing as soon as you possibly can.
  2. If you want to talk about the thing you saw, disclose a spoiler alert before you go into it.

Give people fair warning, and it’s their fault if they read on.  And if they don’t take it on themselves to see the thing in a reasonable amount of time, that’s their problem.

There will always be people who haven’t seen the thing yet.  That doesn’t mean that the world should sit silently and not talk about the thing forever.  How long should people wait before talking about the thing?  I think it’s fair to talk about the thing immediately.  But if you want to do it without being a jerk, check to make sure the people who can hear you care about spoilers, and then give them a chance to mute before you launch into them.

There’s also people who deliberately spoil in order to be a jerk.  Right, these are the ones who aren’t talking about the thing because they are excited about the thing — they’re the ones who are looking for people who haven’t seen the thing yet so they can tell them about the thing and ruin the surprise and suspense that the creator of the thing invested in the experience of the thing.  These people suck and deserve a good beating.  Even though spoiling is not a crime, and beating people up is. The law kindof has it backwards on this.

In summary, the arts are to be enjoyed, and a huge part of enjoying them is talking about them.  People should talk about them.  They should be mindful of people who haven’t yet had the experience they’re about to talk about.  They shouldn’t remain silent forever, but they should give people who care to avoid spoilers fair warning and an opportunity to bow out before gushing about the thing.

Pixel Art: Admiral Ackbar

Here’s a quick Admiral Ackbar that I did at 64×64.


This one was a little more interesting to work on.  I started out at 16×16, as I always do, and found that there weren’t a lot of details that I could put on him at that resolution.  At 32×32, I was able to shift the eyes, which gave me enough room to add the mouth.  When I went to 64×64, I realized that the white space suit he wears needed to be given a little bit of color to allow it to stand out against a light background.  I also added some spines to the arms, and irises to the eyes, and nostrils, to give a little more detail.

32x32_Admiral_Ackbar_512 16x16_Admiral_Ackbar_512